Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Resident Post: Tamim Mahayni

As I reflect on my geriatrics experience, I’m left with a sense of amazement to the strength of the spouses and families I met throughout the month.  Every patient I had the opportunity to visit was accompanied by a spouse, sibling, or other loved one that was able to recount the activities of the past year in a detailed manner leading to a meaningful visit for both the patient and physician alike.  Never did I encounter a family member frustrated with the task of taking care of their loved one, and for this reason, it is essential for the physician to provide gratitude every visit to the loved ones.  I can only imagine the degree of difficulty it is to manage the daily life of an elderly family member with cognitive deficits, and the families I met do this on a daily basis.  I can only hope that I’ll be able to provide the same level of care to my loved ones when the opportunity to do so arises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment